Fort Stockton Historic
signs have been erected to guide
visitors around town to sixteen
points of interest.
The tour begins
at Paisano Pete, at the intersection
of Dickinson (Business I-10)
and Main street, and ends at
the Fort Cemetery.
HISTORIC TOUR ITINERARY
1. CHAMBER OF COMMERCE Depot
2. PAISANO PETE, World's
Largest Roadrunner, 11' tall, 22' long.
3. ANNIE RIGGS MEMORIAL MUSEUM was
originally the Riggs Hotel, built in 1899.
It is an excellent example of Territorial
Architecture built of adobe with Victorian
wood trim, and houses exhibits on area
4. ST. JOSEPH CATHOLIC CHURCH,
first church in Fort Stockton, built 1875.
5. OLD JAIL, Pecos County's
original jail was built in 1883.
6. ZERO STONE PARK AND PECOS COUNTY
COURTHOUSE. The Zero Stone is
a marker placed in 1847 and was used
as the zero reference point for subsequent
surveys. The courthouse was built in
1912. There are four additional markers
in the park.
7. THE OLDEST REMAINING SCHOOL built
by the people of Pecos County, erected
1883. The east end was used by the U.S.
Army as a telegraph office.
8. OLDEST HOUSE is known
to have existed in 1859. It was probably
part of Camp Stockton, the original fort
9. GREY MULE SALOON -
built in the 1880's, was once owned by
10. YOUNG'S STORE transom
bears the date 1876, the year that WF.
Young opened this sutler's store.
11. KOEHLER'S STORE also
served as a bank and saloon, it was built
in 1878. The second floor was added in
the 1930's as a WPA project. It now serves
as the Small Community Hall. Across the
street is one of the nine springs in the
Comanche Springs system. This one is named
the Blue Hole.
12. COMANCHE SPRINGS PAVILION
AND SWIMMING POOL. The pavilion
was built in 1938 over the Big Chief
Spring. It was the largest spring in
the system and flowed 65 million gallons
of water a day.
13. ROLLINS-SIBLEY HOUSE built
in 1905 partially on the foundation of
the Old Fort Hospital
14. ST. STEPHEN EPISCOPAL CHURCH,
built in the 1896, was one of the first
Protestant churches west of the Pecos River.
Moved here in 1958.
15. HISTORIC FORT STOCKTON (1867-1886),
Guardhouse, Officers' Row, and Parade Grounds;
a museum is housed in the enlisted men's
barracks and a visitor's center is located
at 301 E. Third.
16. 5TH STREET HOUSE,
the house itself was ordered from Montgomery
Ward Catalog in the late 1920's.
17. OLD FORT CEMETERY where
only a very few markers show anyone over
the age of 40, a testimony to the hard
frontier life. Used from 1875-1912.
to Historical Tours
Home | Fort
Stockton Historical Tours | The
Annie Riggs Memorial Museum | The
Big Bend Country
Accommodations | Events | One
Recreation | Ste.
P.O. Box 1000
Fort Stockton, Texas 79735
here for E-mail
of Commerce Visitor Center
1000 Railroad Ave.
Fort Stockton, Texas 79735